The Primary school provides a rich education in English for children aged 4 to 11. The school follows the British Curriculum for Excellence, which provides a well balanced and holistic education for the International setting. The curriculum and teaching style puts the child at the heart of learning and develops the child physically, socially, mentally and emotionally. The school’s philosophy and beliefs are to work with each individual pupil at their own level and our fantastic teacher to child ratio ensures our children become high achievers, leaders and lifelong learners
The academic age groups are divided according to ages and are as follows:
- Reception – Pupils who are 4 to 5 years old. Pupils must be 4 before 1st September.
- Year 1 – Pupils who are 5 to 6 years old. Pupils must be 5 before 1st September.
- Year 2 – Pupils who are 6 to 7 years old. Pupils must be 6 before 1st September.
- Year 3 – Pupils who are 7 to 8 years old. Pupils must be 7 before 1st September.
- Year 4 – Pupils who are 8 to 9 years old. Pupils must be 8 before 1st September.
- Year 5/6 – Pupils who are 9 to 11 years old. Pupils must be 9 before 1st September.
Throughout the school learning is planned in topics or themes which are both age appropriate to the pupils and interest the pupils. Where specific skills or knowledge does not come naturally from the topic, then individual lessons will be taught – particularly in Literacy and Numeracy. Regular assessment of the pupils – both formative and summative – is carried out and this is used to both record the pupils’ levels as well as inform future planning. Whenever possible school trips related to topics will be planned as these help develop pupil understanding of what is being taught. For older pupils this includes an end of year trip which involves at least one night away from the city. From Year 1 onwards pupils receive weekly lessons in Spanish as part of their curriculum. Furthermore from Year 2 onwards pupils will study either Romanian for native speakers or Romanian for non-native speakers.